LED Treatments - Through Deep Penetrating Light
Laboratory studies have shown that skin cells grow 150-200 percent faster when exposed to certain LED light wavelengths. Independent research for over 40 years has shown LED red and infrared light delivers powerful therapeutic benefits to living tissue. Both visible red and infrared light has been shown to affect at least 24 different positive changes at a deep level. Visible red light, at wavelengths from 630-660 nanometers, penetrates tissue to a depth of 8-10 mm. LED light is very beneficial in treating problems close to the skins surface such as wounds, cuts, and scars. Skin layers, because of their high blood and water content, absorb red light very readily and deliver enough energy to stimulate a response from the body to heal itself.
LED Photons must be absorbed to produce a biological response. All biological systems have a unique absorption spectrum, this uniqueness determines which wavelengths of light will be absorbed to produce a given therapeutic effect. The visible red and infrared portions of the spectrum have been shown to be highly absorbent and produce unique restorative effects in living tissues. It is thought that light photons are absorbed by the skin and underlying tissue and triggers biological changes within the body in a process know as photobiomodulation. Although the exact mechanism of action is still undergoing study, what is know is that monochromatic light increases oxygen and blood flow, facilitating wound healing.
LED therapy is a non-invasive procedure that activates skin cells with pulses of low-level, non-thermal light energy. LED therapy converts light energy within the skin cells, like photosynthesis, which takes sunlight and converts it into food energy in plants.
LED therapy is one of the few non-invasive tools available that can reverse the appearance of aging skin, such as wrinkles and mottled skin tone.
The LED skin light provides a proprietary lightwave design that penetrates deep into the skin to erase the appearance of aging - fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, and crow's feet.
DPL™ Therapy Can:
1. Increase Vascularity:(circulation) by increasing the formation of new capillaries, which are additional blood vessels that replace damaged ones. New capillaries speed up the healing process by carrying more oxygen as well as more nutrients needed for healing and they can also carry more waste products away.
2. Stimulate the Production of Collagen: Collagen is the most common protein found in the body. Collagen is the essential protein used to repair damaged tissue and to replace old tissue. It is the substance that holds cells together and has a high degree of elasticity. By increasing collagen production less scar tissue is formed at the damaged site.
3. Increase Lymphatic System Activity: Edema, which is the swelling or natural splinting process of the body, has two basic components. The first is a liquid part which can be evacuated by the blood system and the second is comprised of the proteins which have to be evacuated by the lymphatic system. Research has shown that the lymph vessel diameter and the flow of the lymph system can be doubled with the use of light therapy. The venous diameter and the arterial diameters can also be increased. This means that both parts of edema (liquid and protein) can be evacuated at a much faster rate to relieves swelling.
4. Stimulate the Release of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP): ATP is the major carrier of energy to all cells. Increases in ATP allows cells to accept nutrients faster and get rid of waste products faster by increasing the energy level in the cell. All food turns into ATP before it is utilized by the cells. ATP provides the chemical energy that drives the chemical reaction of the cell.
5. Increase RNA and DNA Synthesis: This helps damaged cells to be replaced more promptly.
6. Reduce the Excitability of Nervous Tissue: The photons of light energy enter the body as negative ions. This calls upon the body to send positive ions like calcium among other to go to the area being treated. These ions assist in firing the nerves thereby relieving pain.
7. Stimulate Fibroblastic Activity: This aids in the repair process. Fibroblasts are present in connective tissue and are capable of forming collagen fibers.
8. Increase Phagocytosis: Which is the process of scavenging for and ingesting dead or degenerated cells by phagocytes cells for the purpose of cleaning up. This is an important part of the infection fighting process. Destruction of the infection and clean up must occur before the healing process can take place.
9. Induce Thermal Like Effect in the Tissue: The light raises the temperature of the cells through a Photo-Chemical reaction.
10. Stimulate Tissue Granulation and Connective Tissue Projections: Which are part of the healing process of wounds, ulcers or inflamed tissue.
11. Stimulate Acetylcholine Release: Acetylcholine causes cardiac inhibition, vasodilatation, gastrointestinal peristalsis and other parasympathetic effects.
12. Stimulate Endorphins and Enkephalins: Which are produced in the brain as well as chemicals from other areas of the body like adrenals which facilitate long term pain relief.
Return to Skin Light Page
Return to Pain Light Page